Release Notes (2.3.6 of 13 May 1999)
The following are supported by release 2.3.6:
The following are the most relevant changes for users and programmers since release 2.3.2:
- Processor: 80386, Pentium or compatible (Intel, Cyrix, AMD).
- Bus: ISA, EISA or PCI.
- RAM: 4Mb or more (configuring the system for 2Mb is also possible).
- Hard disk controller: IDE, EIDE, ESDI, Adaptec AIC 7xxx SCSI (beta), Adaptec 1520 SCSI or NCR 810 SCSI.
- Hard disk space: 3Mb minimum (30Mb for all packages and sources).
- Display controller: Standard VGA (640x480x4 only). S3-805, S3-924, S3Trio64, S3Aurora, Video7 Mirage, Tseng ET4000, Tseng W32, Cirrus Logic GD 54xx, Cirrus Logic GD 542x, 3Dlabs Permedia 2 (e.g. Diamond FireGL 1000) or Vesa 2.0 generic (all up to 1280x1024x8). Also ATI Mach64 (e.g. Rage Pro Turbo) and ATI Mach32 (1024x768x8 only). For Gadgets at least 800x600 resolution is recommended, otherwise TextFrames should be used.
- Diskette controller: Standard drive supporting 720k and/or 1.44Mb media.
- Mouse: PS/2-type 3-button mouse recommended (e.g. Logitech Pilot). Also serial-port mice on COM1 or COM2: Logitech (3 types), Mouse Systems compatible (4 types), Microsoft 2-button and Microsoft serial IntelliMouse.
- Keyboard: US, UK, Swiss German, German, Canadian, Norwegian, Turkish, Polish, Dvorak, French, Belgian or Finnish.
- Network adapter (optional, not LNO): 3Com Etherlink III family (e.g. 3C509), 3Com FastEtherLink (3C90x) or NE2000.
- Modem (optional): Any modem on COM1 or COM2 (not WinModem).
- Dialup account (optional): SLIP or PPP Internet Service Provider.
- Sound adapter (optional, not LNO): Soundblaster-compatible.
26 Aug 2001 - Copyright © 2001 ETH Zürich. All rights reserved.
- Simpler mouse configuration in Oberon-0. No more rebooting required.
- Beta version of Adaptec AIC 7xxx SCSI driver included (Thanks Patrik Reali). To access this driver in Oberon-0, go to the end of Install.Tool and execute Config.Options Disk.
- Standard ATA/EIDE disk driver is now compatible with more drives, and supports drives larger than 8Gb.
- Support for truecolor added in Display, Display3 and Printer3. Only the S3Trio64 driver currently supports truecolor, but others will follow later. Execute Watson.ShowDef Display and read comments 17 to 21 at the end for more information.
- TextGadgets: ML-MM interclick uses the recall buffer if no selection available for copy.
- Object files and symbol files are now combined into one .Obj file. The restrictions on module keys have been relaxed, as the object (or fine-grained) symbol table model is now used.
- FTPTool has been renamed to FTP and can now be used in the basic system (no longer requires Gadgets). The old FTP module requiring Gadgets is now called FTPDocs.
- Mail.Send now supports list of text names as parameter, allowing off-line composition of email. See Mail.Tool for syntax.
- Support for accurate timing added in Kernel for device driver writers (MilliTimer, SetTimer, Expired).
- Compiler now has \1 option to compile only Oberon-1 code with POINTER TO ARRAY. See Compiler.Tool for options.
- Oberon-0 can now write noboot.exe and native.par to a DOS partition for DOS-based booting. See Configure.Tool option 4.
- Many errors were fixed and small updates made. See the detailed lists.
E-Mail: oberon-web at inf.ethz.ch